Service Ontario has replaced over 130,000 sets of defective license plates over the last year. If you are pulled over for the license plate you will be charged! It is in your best interest to get the FREE replacement now! BTW the 407 cameras can read the plates!
Ontario licence plates are covered by the manufacturer-warranty for up to 5 years – under normal wear and tear.
If the lamination started peeling and bubbling within five years of you getting the plates, the manufacturer warranty applies and you’ll receive the replacements at no charge. Otherwise, there is a $57 fee to replace them.
If the lamination on your plate(s) is peeling or bubbling please visit a ServiceOntario centre to get them replaced.
You must bring both plates in for replacement, even if only one has peeling or bubbling. You may have noticed already:
- visible signs of peeling – making the numbers and/or letters hard to read
- bubbling around the numbers and/or letters, making them hard to read
- paint is worn off in some or all areas
Bring the two plates, along with the following items, to the nearest ServiceOntario centre:
- identification (e.g. driver’s licence)
- proof of valid insurance from an insurance provider licensed in Ontario
- the vehicle permit (plate and vehicle portions)
If you do not have the vehicle permit you can have it replaced at a ServiceOntario centre at an additional charge.